Please do your part to protect our waterways!
If you litter in the street, you might well litter in the river. Rain washes pollutants into the storm drains and directly into our lakes streams and rivers. What can you do? Recycle and dispose of your trash properly
When your pet goes on the lawn, remember it just doesn’t go on the lawn. Rain washes pollutants into storm drains and directly into our lakes, streams and rivers. So what can you do? properly dispose of your pet’s waste by flushing it down the toilet or by placing it in a bag and throwing it in the trash.
The Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection has issued Coraopolis Borough and Coraopolis Sewer and Water Authority an NPDES Permit for Stormwater Discharges from its small Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System (MS4). The Borough’s MS4 system is inclusive of inlets, catch basins, storm sewers pipes, swales, and stormwater detention facilities, among many other facilities that collect, convey or manage stormwater. The MS4 Permit regulates discharges from the Borough’s MS4 to the Waters of the Commonwealth with the intent of reducing the discharge of pollutants and increasing water quality to the maximum extent practicable. To comply with the requirements of the Permit, the Borough must implement a plan to address the following six Minimum Control Measures (MCMs):
- MCM 1 – Public Education and Outreach
- MCM 2 – Public Participation and Involvement
- MCM 3 – Illicit Discharge Detection and Elimination
- MCM 4 – Construction Site Runoff Control
- MCM 5 – Post-Construction Storm Water Management in New Development and Redevelopment
- MCM 6 – Pollution Prevention/Good Housekeeping
Residents Roles in Helping to Prevent Stream Pollution
Borough residents can help reduce the discharge of pollutants to the streams and protect water quality by doing the following:
- Never dump anything besides stormwater into a storm drain, inlet, swale or stream. Dumping in these areas is an Illicit Discharge and is a violation of the Borough Prohibited Discharge Ordinance.
- Report Illicit Discharges. If you observe anyone dumping anything into the MS4 system, or notice a non-stormwater discharge entering the MS4 or a stream, immediately notify the Borough at (412) 264-3002 or through the Borough’s website at www.coraopolispa.com.
- Pick up and properly dispose of pet waste. Pet waste should never be disposed of in a storm drains, inlet, catch basin or stream.
- Wash vehicles such that wash water does not enter the MS4. Wash vehicle in lawn or gravel areas, or take them to commercial car washes.
- Recycle or properly dispose of hazardous materials including paints, used oil and chemical.
- Pick up litter, debris or garbage from yard, sidewalks, driveways and other areas so that it is not washed into a storm drain.
Reporting Illicit Discharges
It is important to remember that stormwater runoff collected by the MS4 does not get treated before it is discharged to a waterway. The MS4 intended to convey only stormwater. An illicit discharge is any type of pollutant or substance that enters the storm sewer system that is not comprised entirely of stormwater. Such examples of these pollutions are:
- Yard Waste, Grass Clippings, Leaves
- Oil, grease or chemicals
- Soap suds
- Animal waste
- Garbage, Debris or Litter.
Residents and members of the community serve an important role in identifying and reporting illicit discharges to help prevent pollution of our streams and lakes. Anything that enters the MS4 system that is not stormwater is considered an illicit discharge. If you observe any instance of dumping any substance into a storm inlet, or notice discolored or evidently contaminated discharge from any storm sewer please notify the Borough Office at (412) 264-3002 or through the Borough’s website at www.coraopolispa.com.
Reporting Illicit Discharge
- Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection
- United States Environmental Protection Agency
- When It Rains It Drains
- SPC MS4 Educational Materials
- Best Management Practices http://www.depgreenport.state.pa.us/elibrary/GetDocument?docId=7876&DocName=ENTIRE%20MANUAL%20INCLUDING%20ALL%20CHAPTERS.PDF%20%20%3Cspan%20style%3D%22color%3Ablue%3B%22%3E%3C%2Fspan%3E